Saturday, April 4, 2009

RAGOM


I suppose you've never heard of RAGOM before. Neither had I about 4 years ago. I had been playing around on the web looking at animal shelters and dog breeder sites because my family and I were looking to adopt a golden retriever. We have always had goldens- I guess they define us somehow- outdoorsy, laid back; always ready to lick a new visitor....OK, maybe not that last part. Anyhow, we had lost our oldest golden to the "Golden Bridge" as they say and our remaining doggie needed a companion (and so did we).

Anyhow, as I perused the numerous sites, 1 in particular jumped out- RAGOM (which stands for Retrieve a Golden of Minnesota). Oddly, there seemed to be an inordinate number of goldens going to this organization and I wondered "Why do these people have the market on goldens locked down?" Well, the answer is "that's what they do." RAGOM (http://www.ragom.org/) is a rescue organization that takes in dogs from several neighboring midwestern states and puts them up for adoption to well-screened applicants. Part of their success is that they are not a shelter but instead rely on an extensive network of foster families to house, love, and care for these dogs while trying to adopt them out. I was intrigued and totally sucked into their website where available dogs are posted with weekly biographies of the dogs. I soon found myself logging onto the site every day just to see how "Shadow's" vet visit turned out or whether "Josie" had found her "furever" home yet. And the puppy pictures...don't even get me started!


So, flash forward a few years now. In January, I approached my husband with a proposition, although maybe not the kind he was expecting or hoping for. "Let's volunteer to be a foster family for RAGOM!", I said. My enthusiasm was met with a look of "huh?" After explaining why I was interested, he was agreeable. My husband may have that tough external demeanor, but inside, he's a softie and loves these goldens as much as I do. So, we were off- I sent in an application and waited.


In order to be a foster, you must be screened by way of a home visit. They don't just let ANYBODY into the organizaton! My husband and I were in for an experience. Could we pass muster? Were we worthy enough to take in an expensive dog with potential health or emotional issues who could rip our livingroom to shreds, pee on our floors, and fight with our other dogs? Were we? Time would only tell.....

No comments:

Post a Comment